Satan's Goal Is Misery

2 Nephi 2:18

And because he had fallen from heaven, and had become miserable forever, he sought also the misery of all mankind. Wherefore, he said unto Eve, yea, even that old serpent, who is the devil, who is the father of all lies, wherefore he said: Partake of the forbidden fruit, and ye shall not die, but ye shall be as God, knowing good and evil.

Eve did not know the difference between truth and lies. No one had ever lied to her before. So when Lucifer contradicted God and told her she would not die, she had no way of knowing who was right. She eventually learned that God told the truth and Lucifer lied, but she had to learn by experience.

Satan's goal for me is misery. He tempts me with promises of happiness, but his version of happiness is temporary. It soon turns to ash, and I am left with double misery, for I mourn the lost happiness I thought I had, and eventually I recognize the true happiness that will never be mine.

Comments

Popular Posts

Everything Has a Purpose

Redemption

Heaven or Hell -- No Gray