The Ends of the Law vs. the Ends of the Atonement

 2 Nephi 2:10

And because of the intercession for all, all men come unto God; wherefore, they stand in the presence of him, to be judged of him according to the truth and holiness which is in him. Wherefore, the ends of the law which the Holy One hath given, unto the inflicting of the punishment which is affixed, which punishment that is affixed is in opposition to that of the happiness which is affixed, to answer the ends of the atonement.

Because of the Atonement, I am judged on Christ's perfect character rather than on my own imperfect character. It is His truth and holiness, not mine, that answers the judgment.

The end or ultimate objective of the law is punishment. In other words, if I keep the law perfectly, the best I can hope for is no punishment. The end or ultimate objective of Christ's atonement, on the other hand, is happiness. Happiness is more than the mere absence of punishment. It is an addition and enhancement to my existence. Thou shalt not kill, commit adultery, bear false witness, and so forth, keep me out of hell; but thou shalt love God and thy neighbor as thyself get me into heaven.

God's punishment is not necessarily inflicted misery so much as a diminishing of happiness. God does not want any of His beloved children to be miserable. He does not want to beat them or burn them in a lake of fire and brimstone. He wants them to have all the happiness they can stand. He offers them all the happiness they will accept. 

God does not cut people off from happiness, but rather, they cut themselves off when they cut themselves off from God and His happiness. His punishment is simply the natural consequences of my actions and choices. Christ's atonement can erase my bad actions, provided I choose to follow Him and separate myself from my mistakes. But if I choose to turn away from Christ and retain my sins, I limit God's ability to bless me with His happiness. And so, I accept an inferior happiness. It's not punishment, but simply natural consequences.

Comments

Popular Posts

Everything Has a Purpose

Redemption

Heaven or Hell -- No Gray